This video is brought to you by Mike Patey’s YouTube Channel.
Most famous for his Draco bush plane (a highly modified PZL-104 Wilga)
It’s always cool to see other composite fabricators methods for making parts. Big takeaway I got from this video is a method for making a joggle
- “paper toweling” the cowl split line
- putting release tape on the throw away part
- build up the joggle area
- cure & dremel cut the remaining ligaments of the finished part allowing it to be cut free.
Mike is certainly an excellent role model when it comes to business & aviation and his content is something I enjoy normalizing to.
Looking to have an epic time at the next comic con or the next aviation event?
Want to be a next level fan of the MCU on a budget? (ready made suits can cost up to $6K)
Why not build your own Ironman Suit? well now you can with the help of the IRON suit dot com
For the readers of the web site I wanted to compile a list of the best options today for Large field of view FPV goggles. when I got into FPV I was not impressed with the typical “Fat Shark” narrow field of view googles and wanted an IMAX experience. Headplay FPV was one of the first companies that could supply this and I was an early purchaser of their system.
Here is a list of the 5 options I would recommend today for a Wide FOV FPV goggle system. #ad
- The Scout uses a patented panel goggle optical module to deliver a 50 degree field of view (FOV), 1136 x 640 resolution and a 60 fps refresh rate in a comfortable to wear headset.
- In addition to an impressive display, the Scout has completely overhauled electronics performance.
- It has a diversity RX with an embedded 10 dB patch antenna to maximize reception, a new OSD, an updated DVR, and simple USB charging.
- The Scout also has several user conveniences including an embedded fan, removable foam to allow for pilots to wear glasses while flying and an LED indicator on the antenna to provide channel notification.
- The Scout is the headset for aspiring pilots looking for premium performance at a great value.
- Small size and light weight.
- Low power consumption, Working current 360~400mA.
- Double antenna reception to make the signal more stable.
- RaceBand 40 channel, Auto-Searching.
- 3.0 Inch 480*320 dot high brightness LCD screen.
- Built-in super sensitiveness 5.8GHz 40ch receiver, especially with RaceBand.
- Built-in 3.7V/1200mAh high-capacity Li-ion polymer Battery.
- Universal USB charging interface.
- Real-time video return, Very low time-delay.
- Support external video signal input.
- Support AV signal output (Connect external DVR).
- Built-in with super HD DVR record up to 720*576px resolution.Diversity RaceBand 40ch Auto-Searching.Two system (Display/Record duo core separated chipsets ) ensure no delay in displaying and no frame lost in recording(please use C10 super speed card to ensure the full frame recording).Work friendly with pilot-OSD, no block on the important flying OSD information;
- Separable design, 5 inch screen can be used as small monitor on radio controller or with tripod;HD high brightness 5 inch LCD specially tuned for FPV racing;Diversity function, Built-in super sensitive 5.8GHz 40ch receiver module, with RaceRand;
- Advanced auto-searching function and the working frequency show on screen;Built-in 7.4V 1200mAh battery, each full charge offer 2 hours working time;Wide range re-charge voltage 11-20V;
- Accept 2S or 3S batteries as back-up power source, to prolong the working time;Nice ergonomic design and fit different faces;Super-wide visible angle up to 82 degree;
- 92% transparent lens adopted, no distort, no blur on the edge of screen;Light weight 375g with 3.5 hr 1200mAh battery, RTF for any scale racing game;5 Inch 800*480px HD high brightness LCD
- Unique design even for people who wear glasses.
- New patented design of optical refraction, which no eye strain even for long time.
- Ergonomic design, no feeling of stress on your nose or eyes.
- With detachable 5inch monitor, combine goggle, separate monitor all in one.
- Menu for all 5.8Ghz frequency table, easy find, easy use.
- Built-in DVR recording, one key recording/playback.
- With true diversity receiver module inside, auto receive best signal
- Support HDMI IN, 1920*1080 resolution.
- Dual diversity receivers – Automatic switching to Antenna / Receiver
- Auto scanning function for fast and easy channel searching
- Supports AV and HDMI source DVR (HDMI DVR maximum input resolution supported is 1920*1080P @ 60HZ)
- NO Latency 1024×600 Display, with No Blackout / Blue Screen if Video Signal gets low
- Adjustable Lens Focus – Focal distance can be adjusted with a simple dial on the bottom of the unit
- Support AV and HDMI In – Use with an external receiver for long range, or simply enjoy a movie or playing a video game
- NTSC/PAL mode Auto Switching – auto-recognizes the format and displays the image properly
- Includes Standard 5.5mm Barrel Type connector and Extensions for use with XT60 and Barrel type Power connectors
If your new to FPV here are some of my favorite YouTube videos to show you what you are missing out on.
This months video share is brought to you by Mark Rober’s YouTube channel.
It’s an excellent example of how drones can be used for good and how to help with Reforestation efforts.
This video is a partnership with #Teamtrees (a not for profit fund raiser) with the goal of planting 20 Million trees by 1/1/2020 only 2 months away. Beyond drones Team Trees is using multiple methods to achieve the goal.
Learn more on their site: https://teamtrees.org/
This is not just YouTubers on this technology Bloomberg has covered it as well.
Drone seed is the major contributor to this technology, learn more at:
After going to major airshows like Oshkosh & Sun N Fun since the early 90’s the one ultralight that really stood out to me as a “solid aircraft” is the Aerolite 103. The design is extremely clean with only the bare basics needed for flight.
Brand new fully complete fly away cost are $20 – 25K (circa 2019)
Kits minus engine start at under $14K (circa 2019)
The web site for the 103 is:
The main distributor is located in DeLand Florida @ KDED
Engine options range from 30 HP Kawasaki’s to 50 HP Hirth’s
at one point Hobby King produced an electric powered RC model of the aerolite 103 cleverly called the aerosport 103.
Model aviation magazine did a write up in 2015:
You may be able to find one on eBay. With the open frame structure this would be tricky to scratch build as an RC aircraft
Found a great Model Aircraft covering article in AMA’s model aviation magazine that may give the old school balsa builder some pointers.
This should get you directly to the article. Content & photo from the AMA.
Looking for a new covering iron? Check out this model from Hangar 9 #ad
Film Covering is still my favorite way to finish an RC plane. learning the craft is the quickest, lightest and most durable method I have seen. Some of my handy work from back in the day:
Don’t forget a covering iron is only half of the effort, the other end is the heat gun work, check out this model also from Hangar 9 #ad
This video share comes to you by the Johnny FPV YouTube Channel.
Quite the cinematic FPV experience for the south beach & down town Miami area.
To capture you own epic FPV adventures check out the GoPro Hero 7 Black Edition with 2 extra batteries & 64GB + 16GB Micro SD’s
More from the product description:
- GoPro has finally unleashed its most advanced HERO model to date: the HERO7.
- Brand new suite of features, and the same cutting-edge waterproof build, this latest addition to the brand’s popular line of action cameras is designed to bring your photography and videography to the next level.
- New to the HERO7 is the portrait shooting orientation.
- Film Ultra HD 4K videos at up to 60fps with the built-in HyperSmooth Video Stabilization for smoother, professional-quality footage without the need for a gimbal stabilizer.
- Record in 2.7K at up to 120 frames per second and in Full HD 1080p at up to 240 frames per second for truly breathtaking, super slow-motion videos.
- Camera also captures vivid and detailed 12MP still images, with a burst photo mode at up to 30 frames per second.